Friday, January 27, 2012

RetroChallenge, Mini Maker Faire, and CoCoFEST!

I know what you are thinking -- "Fahrfall looks fantastic!!  But, when can I play it??"  Patience!  For the Jedi it is time to play as well!  Hmmm...well, something like that... :-)


The end of this month's RetroChallenge event is coming soon.  It seems appropriate to make something available for that event's judging.  I haven't yet worked-out the details, but I will at least release a loadable binary or a diskette image suitable for use with an emulator or on a real CoCo.

My ambitions for Fahrfall are reasonably modest -- I want something fun to play that makes the most of the CoCo's resources.  The progress so far is good, but I don't really think I have reached my goal.  I definitely have some more features in mind for Fahrfall, so I reckon that the coming release will have to be considered an Alpha release.  I'll probably even put something on the title screen to indicate that status. :-)

Mini Maker Faire

The area in which I live is somewhat rural.  Living in an area like this has a lot of advantages, but support for lots of quirky hobby groups typically isn't one of them.  Fortunately, I have connected with a few other crazies in the area and we have formed The Alamance Makers Guild with the hopes of synergizing with one another and of eventually forming a physical hacker- or maker-space.

Why is that apropos for this blog entry?  Because we have initiated planning for a Mini Maker Faire event at the Holly Hill Mall in Burlington, NC on Saturday 28 April 2012!  Along with whatever else our club has there, I intend to have a playable Fahrfall setup as part of the exhibit.  If you are anywhere near local to me then please consider coming-out for this event!  If you just can't make it to Burlington on that day, I am also planning to have Fahrfall on display at Maker Faire NC in Raleigh on 16 June 2012.

CoCoFEST!

Years ago, there actually were magazines dedicated to the CoCo.  Chief among those was The Rainbow, and the publishers of that magazine organized a number of conference events dedicated to promoting the CoCo.  The last of those events was more than two decades ago...or was it?  In fact, a dedicated group of CoCoNuts in the Chicagoland area has kept that tradition alive all the way to the present day with the annual "Last" Chicago CoCoFEST!

Over the years, CoCoFEST! has transformed from a computer show to a "swap meet" and then to more of a social event.  I assure you that the No Minimum Bid auction is not to be missed!  In any case, this is the big event in the CoCo community each year and I intend to be there.  I hope to have Fahrfall more-or-less finished by then, and I'll haul my CoCo there for an exhibit.  This is your chance not only to play Fahrfall but also to rub elbows with the brilliant mind behind it! :-)  It is also a good opportunity to integrate oneself into the CoCo community.  If you are a budding CoCoNut, then you need to find your way to Elgin, IL on 19 & 20 May 2012!

More To Come

It's Friday night as I write this, so I suppose that the weekend has already started.  I'm a bit too tired for anything beyond a little poking at Fahrfall's edges this evening, but I intend to get serious about getting my Alpha candidate ready on tomorrow and Sunday.  More updates coming soon, so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment